Monday, March 18, 2013

TOTW: "I'm not crying - it's just been raining on my face."


In today's post, I'm inviting those of you who are not quite as mired in denial as Bret and Jermaine here to share MG/YA fantasy books that made you weepy. Here are a few of mine to get you going.

*The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis - I have a very distinct memory of sitting in the Wendy's in the University of Oklahoma student union hoping nobody noticed the tears running down my cheeks as Narnia was born out of Aslan's roar (I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe several times as a kid, but didn't get to the other Narnia books until I was in college - my reading habits were somewhat idiosyncratic).

*Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling - (Are we still doing spoiler alerts for this? Becuase yeah - SPOILER ALERT!) There are so very many sob-inducing moments in this book, but the one that really did it for me was Snape's death. He was such a wounded and complicated guy, but his love for Lily gave him the capacity for great sacrifice and heroism. RIP, Severus.

*The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo - Reading a Kate DiCamillo book is sort of like having someone put their fist through your ribcage and squeeze your heart into a pulp. In a good way. 

*Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - It may be kind of pushing it to peg this as fantasy, but I'm going to allow it, because this is my blog post and I can do that.  And no other book has ever made me ugly cry like this one did. Seriously, y'all - great heaving sobs. It wasn't pretty.

Your turn, gentle readers. Which books made you misty?

9 comments:

  1. Last book of Harry Potter for me, too, but at a different spot:

    SPOILER ALERT


    When harry was walking through the woods to meet Voldemort,I was a mess.

    Also, a pivotal early scene in The Queen of Attolia (if you've read it, you know what I mean) just about killed me.

    In both cases, the thing that got me was utter disbelief that the author was doing this to her character (and to me!). Sure sign of a brilliant author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Harry Potter definitely made me cry. Also, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver had me weeping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sobbed buckets at the end of The Two Towers when I thought Frodo was dead. Took me forever to calm down enough to finish the book. Then realized he was still alive & literally threw the book across the room, I was so upset at all that crying for nothing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. When a Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is amazing and made me weep!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on 'A Monster Calls' and this isn't really fantasy more magical realism, but the swan's death in 'Dreamer' had me tearing up. Otherwise I mostly have a heart of stone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a very old person, but I remember general eye spillage during Alfred Ollivant's BOB, SON OF BATTLE. Can't recall the specific scene (very old person, remember). Some dog died, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TUCK EVERLASTING by Natalie Babbitt, HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins, SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater, DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT by Laini Taylor. Just to name a few. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Martina - Tuck Everlasting. I actually have refused to read this as an adult because I don't want to overwrite my childhood memories of the feelings it provoked in me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Have your say...