I just love aliens, so I decided to come up with a list of some books about aliens at different age levels. This is a random list! It is not a “best of” list or a “favorites” list or anything aiming to be definitive. I just want to highlight some kids’ books about aliens, a subject that will never, ever get old for me! I’ve only read a few of them so far, and I can’t wait to read the rest. Personally, I prefer books where the aliens are the good guys. Call me naïve, but I hope that if humans ever do encounter aliens, they won’t be trying to kill us. Will they look just like the hottest boy in school? Well, I’m not that hopeful :). But they might speak with Australian accents …
1. Herbert’s Wormhole (series) by Peter Nelson and Rohitash Rao. Three friends travel to the future and meet the friendly, wig-wearing G’Daliens who speak in Australian accents for no particular reason. Except—awesome!
2. Aliens on Vacation (series) by Clete Smith. A boy discovers that his grandma’s boring bed and breakfast is really an inn for aliens. Way more interesting than a regular inn, if you ask me.
3. The Fellowship for Alien Detection by Kevin Emerson. Two kids must use their wits to unravel an alien plot and stop the invasion!
4. Roswell High (series) by Melinda Metz. The hottest guy in school is an alien. Enough said.
5. Obsidian (series) by Jennifer Armentrout. Another hot alien guy! Like I said in the intro, I’m not counting on it, but it would be cool if it happened.
6. Rush (series) by Eve Silver. A girl is kidnapped from her life and forced to kill aliens for reasons she doesn’t understand.
Picture Books about Aliens:
7. The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot by Margaret McNamara, illustrated by Mark Fearing. The Three Little Pigs except with aliens. In case you were sick of pigs and love aliens!
8. Baloney (Henry P.) by John Scieszka, illustrated by Lane Smith. Henry P. Baloney is an alien who is always late for school and has lots of excuses.
9. Aliens Love Underpants (series) by Claire Freedman, illustrated by Ben Cort. Aliens come to Earth to steal people’s underpants. Some of the aliens are green and some are orange, but they’re all from strange planets that lack underpants.
Classic Alien Book:
10. The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher. I wanted to write about newer books, but I couldn’t write about alien books without mentioning the Tripods. I don’t know if this was my first alien book, but I remember it that way. The worst thing about the tripod aliens was that they took away your free will. The coolest thing was the giant tripods. And the fact that they came from outer space—that too!
Well, there you have it. Ten books about aliens! Does anyone have a favorite alien book?
Mary G. Thompson is the author of Wuftoom and her own alien book, Escape from the Pipe Men!