Monday, April 8, 2013

Great dresses, kick-butt women: New YA Covers!


Some cover elements scream “young-adult fantasy”: Great dresses, amazing hair. Brooding faces. Titles of one sizzling word.

We get all those things this season, and more. There’s some serious water action, over and under. Kick-butt women with weapons. Images with an unsettling beauty. Not to mention some very cool insects.  

Today and tomorrow, the Inkpot will take a look at young-adult fantasies with pub dates between January and June 2013. We’re calling a book “young adult” if it’s intended for readers between ages 12 and 18. As always, if there’s one we’ve overlooked, please link to it in the comments.

Click on "read more" to see the covers. And tell us which is your favorite!



Water, water everywhere . . . 





Who knows what’s happening under there?







 The insect world is a little worrying



What’s that behind you? I’d get scurrying.



That look on your face says all's not well






 


 And this place you’re living in looks like hell.





But you’re pretty calm. Are you in denial?




And you with the weapon . . . I like your style.








Technology will have its day



 And important gems lead us astray.




Back to back and face to face,





With wings and feathers all over the place.





Sometimes a cover says it with hair,


 


 Eyes that are icy or filled with despair,


 


 Or images eerie, sure to ensnare. 





 But you can’t beat a gorgeous dress, can you?


  

 


***

Ellen Booraem is the author of THE UNNAMEABLES, SMALL PERSONS WITH WINGS, and the upcoming TEXTING THE UNDERWORLD (August 2013). She lives in Downeast Maine with an artist, a dog, and a cat, one of whom is a practicing curmudgeon. She's online at www.ellenbooraem.com.


11 comments:

  1. When it comes to favorites, I'm having my usual case of decidophobia. Mortal Fire (the one with the bees) grabbed my attention first, but then there's Unravel Me (the icy eye). Or Yellow Cake. And I WANT the dress on The Elite.

    *sigh* This is why I never get anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - lots of fabulous covers beckoning me to open them! First to grab my eye was Pods, but I'm also very excited for Ashes on the Waves, and I think the cover for The Madman's Daughter is extraordinary! Thanks for the post, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the techno ones are my favorites this time, they're so nice and clean. Seeing all the hair ones together is kind of funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW we sure do have a ton of awesome covers coming out!!! I want them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snake one's pretty cool, too. I wonder how they did that? I'm praying it's photoshopped and not a real model. Brrrrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So many amazing covers. Wish I could get a job just reading all these awesome books. Thanks for posting them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting Triangles - I love her dress, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for including PODs! The look on her face does say all is not well, as readers will find out when they read Eva's story. :)

    Thanks for thinking of PODs!

    Michelle :)
    Author, PODs available June 4th
    Milayna available March 11, 2014
    The Infected, a PODs novel available November 2014
    Visit Me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful covers, makes me want to read them all. Thanks for including Hunted

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post! Thank you so much for including Touch of Death. I'm honored. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have your say...