Monday, April 22, 2013

TOTW: Choose Your Weapon!

Fantasy isn’t known as “swords and sorcery” for nothing. Big, shiny blades and sparkly spells are par for the course in most fantasy adventures and our favorite main characters often wield a sword and scabbard or a magic book or wand. So I asked my fellow Inkies to talk about some of our fantasy favorites that don’t follow the industry standard and stand out all the more because of what surprises they’re packing to take down the Big Baddies.

The odds may be ever in your favor if you've got a bow and arrow!

Currently famous front-runner is Katniss’ bow, which District 12’s tribute used to make her mark on the judges’ panel during The Hunger Games and took out more than the competition—she started a revolution! Hermione Granger may have been a witch amongst wizards at Hogwarts, but she was armed with more than a wand from Ollivander’s, she had smarts to rival any in Ravenclaw and that’s what kept her ahead (and her friends alive). And Laini Taylor’s Karou was armed with a most unusual weapon against the angels: the hamsas on her hands. (Perhaps only rivaling Buffy’s “Mr. Pointy” as the most original weapon of choice!)

When the stakes are high...it's Mr. Pointy to the rescue!

Sometimes there isn’t just one weapon in our arsenal, often a good fighter has a range of favorites at his or her fingertips. The Ranger’s Apprentice, Will, has a bow, a Saxe knife, and a throwing knife. Robin LaFevers’ Ismae uses a fascinating collection of weaponry that includes the misericordeour, a variety of subtle poisons, a tiny crossbow, and a lethal powder called Arduinna’s Snare. Our own Bridget Zinn’s Kyra uses potions and darts, and my own upcoming Indelible features characters defending themselves with sigils, a straight-razor and a scalpel.

Have you thought about what your favorite fantasy character packs in a fight? How about your own characters? Does it make them stand out from the crowd or reflect something interesting about their character? I challenge you to think outside the box and come armed with some great ideas. 

Ready? Grab a pen, take careful aim & choose your weapon!

12 comments:

  1. I immediately thought of SABRIEL by Garth Nix since her weapons are primarily her necromancing bells which is so unusual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that but it's so true, the uniqueness of Sabriel's bells and how she uses them is one of the things that first drew me in to the book!

      Delete
    2. I haven't even read this and now I want to!!

      Delete
  2. I'd like to see a character who throws feral cats. (Disclaimer: am currently in the process of taming a feral cat and my arms are a nice mixture of scars and bandaids.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to mix up the weapons my characters use. Currently my MC is learning to wield a weapon similar to a naginata.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like when my fantasy characters can use wit, charm or even good old brain power to outwit their opponents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually looking forward to my first character who uses a weapon other than brains and the occasional mystical power. My banshee in the book coming out in August USED to use a sword (in fifth century Ireland) but now she's all about spunk, invisibility and floating.

    I am now seriously considering a feral cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will probably sound super cliched and migh contain a modicum of spoilers (warning!) for Megan Whalen Turner's series beginning with The Thief, but although Eugenides (Gen) is certainly competent with a sword his great weapon is knowledge. The way he uses not superior wit or intellect per se but greater knowledge of situations throughout the series is masterful. It, I think, is one of the reasons the narrator changes with each book, because of who holds the knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Artemis Fowl, who never packs any weapon except his butler. Though as weapons go, Butler's pretty formidable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an awesome post! I wanted to add to it, but my brain was a blank. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, it's not one of my favorites but knitting needles ended up being the grand weapon in "Princess of the Midnight Ball".

    ReplyDelete

Have your say...